Tuesday 2 June 2009

Hostage Situation



Baby


Dad?


Mum?

We are being held hostage by the crows which have been nesting in one of our trees. A baby is on the ground, and has been wandering around our garden most of the day. I am not sure if it can fly... it's pretty big, but doesn't look fully grown or very confident. I haven't seen it fly. It may have tried to fly out of the tree, and now can't get back. It is currently hanging out in my veggie patch, which is next to my washing line... which means I can't hang up my washing for fear of being dive-bombed! it's not good. I will have to keep the boys in the house when I pick them up from school. Hope they figure this out by tonight!

UPDATE:

We had a brave neighbour/friend come and remove the baby to a less busy part of the garden. Baby was noisily unimpressed by this treatment, and so were parents, but nobody (bird or human) came to any harm. And baby was still wandering around in that part of the garden when night fell. One parent was still hovering nervously while the other took care of another baby still in the nest. Hopefully 'our' baby will survive. The temperature is dropping - and s/he doesn't have a nice cosy nest to sleep in tonight.

1 comment:

Shaheen said...

Ooh hope it has the courage to fly off. In my workplace we had some seagulls nesting nearby and they were really vicious, gliding down and attacking anyone who walked in the direction of their babies nest.

Hope the situation has resolved for you by the evening.