Tuesday 23 June 2009

No Ticks

I have just been reading an update from the delightful blogger, June, over at Four Green Acres and this got me to thinking about something I don't generally think about. Ticks.

You know, that's one of the best things about living in the UK: the grass is generally critter-free. The Garden Boy is from Oklahoma, and when we go out there we have to watch for ticks and chiggers, but over here, feel free to lie in the long grass and count the buttercups. Apart from getting itchy and hay-fevery you won't do yourself any damage. Hooray!

I suppose you might get them if you go around cuddling sheep, or cows, or deer, or other wild animals, but generally, on a day-to-day basis in the garden, and even going for walks in the countryside through meadows and woodlands you don't even have to think about it.

Although I may regret writing this (are clouds gathering as I type?), you know what makes it really unfair? At the moment we are having the beautiful warm, sunny weather that June in her Four Acres is accustomed to for summer and that (so rumour has it) we don't ever get! So it's sunny, 70s, and (generally) no ticks and chiggers. Jealous yet?

No comments: