Friday 28 November 2008

Veg-Plot Review

I was doing a bit of clearing out of the garden veg-plot the other day, getting rid of the cosmos skeletons etc, and I found a treasure! One last onion which had been hiding under the thickets of dead scrub. It started out as an onion-and-carrot bed. Then I planted some cosmos seedlings in among, just to add interest later on... and then the cosmos got huge. They loved all the rain, I guess! They grew and grew and fell over and grew some more and sprouted roots from the stem and kept growing. I managed to get (what I thought was) all the onions and carrots out from underneath them, but yesterday I discovered I was wrong. Hooray! It's like finding a fiver in the pocket of a coat you don't wear often... well, maybe not quite the same financially, but I was chuffed to bits to find an extra bonus onion. And it was oh-so-oniony too... Not damaged from neglect and full of flavour. It was eaten that night. Yum.


So now the veg-plot has come to the end of the cycle and is bare again... well almost. I have planted 4 rows of red onions and 3 rows of garlic, which are all starting to sprout. So even in the depths of dark November (which according to a friend's gardening calendar is NOT a gardening month!) we have the hints of what is yet to come, if we can hold on through the horrid cold and wet and dark.

And I thought I would have a look back through my photos and see if I could pull together some pictures taken in roughly the same spot of the veg-plot through the months of this year. So here you go:

April. Newly planted potatoes, onions & carrots


May: Potatoes coming through nicely


June: Baby carrots and onions... and weeds


June: Potatoes geting taller


June



July

Sept


And finally here we are in November.
We wait patiently through the darkness for the turning of the seasons back to lengthening days and months which ARE gardening months. Not November though. And I am not too hopeful for December either...

No comments: