Saturday 29 November 2008

Allotment Betrayal

We are sharing our allotment plot with a local school. We have been given half, they have been given half. We have been working darn hard on our half... well we had, up until about the middle of Oct, when it turned yucky and muddy and very cold. So I haven't been down there since. But up until then we had worked very hard to clear the surface and dig it over etc. The half claimed by the school was untouched.

BUT NOW... my partner in allotmenting went down there yesterday because a friend of hers was delivering a bunch of rubble for us to use to help our pathetic drainage. And the school side is completely cleared, completely dug over and even has drainage pipes running through it and out the other side to where, allegedly, the allotment chiefs are going to be running some drainage pipes.

I am really peeved because now we look like complete slackers and like we are totally unworthy of our half-plot. How have they done this? I mean, it is totally flooded, and theirs is worse than ours (even with the drainage pipes, because they don't drain anywhere yet). They have ice on top of their flooded mud. So HOW have they got it cleared and dug and drainage piped so quickly in such foul weather?

I bet they paid some gardening company to do it for them. That must be it, rather than just being two over-worked mums who have to bring children with them who are liable to fall in muddy puddles and need a complete change of clothes. And so by cheating and paying to get it done they have made us look unworthy...

I don't like it one bit. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I was rather hoping they would be as... what word am I looking for? Overworked? Slow? Useless? Not keen on the cold and wet? Perhaps 'normal' is what I want. Please let our neighbours (who we haven't met, I hasten to add) be normal and not show us up every step of the way. Please, God?

1 comment:

Don said...

It is difficult to keep up with the Joneses sometimes. ;)

Are you going to let us know what your garden and allotment will grow next year? I am a newbie to gardening and want to have a good one.

What is an allotment?