Monday 6 April 2009

Gardening Update

I got all my stressful jobs done last week, and I have had time to 'play' now. Which means time to get my gardening jobs done, which isn't at all stressful. Physical, yes, but stressful? No. Theraputic.

Mostly what I have been doing is finishing up the weeding of the part of the veggie plot that used to be the onion patch last year. It has had a THOROUGH weed, and I have moved the chives and the random snowdrops and crocuses that were planted there, and the roses (in a veg patch?!). And now it is being transformed into a potato field. Field in the smallest sense of the word, you understand, but still...

So here you have it. As you can see (can you?) I have dug two trenches, and managed to get 8 potatoes in each. I still have one row to dig. The internet says the rows need to be 2.5ft apart, hence the large 'wastage' of land inbetween the rows. So, 3 rows x 8 potatoes = 24 potatoes. Which leaves 20+ potatoes left in my egg boxes still chitting away... I guess they will go down to the ever-so-neglected allotment (remember the allotment?). Last time I was there it was still very muddy. It WAS early March (or was it still Feb?) but it wasn't looking much like anything could be planted soon. It was cleared, finally, but the raised beds were still to be built. Hopefully Deb's tool wielding friends have been doing that for us, as promised, and I wil be able to plant out spare potatoes next time I am down there. This week? I hope...

This shows the extent of my veg patch. I am not allowed to dig up the grass on the near side of the flagstones. So, left to right:
Onions and garlic (you can just see their spikes infront of the 'raised beds', made from old drawers)
Raised beds with shallots (spiking up nicely, for the most part) and asparagus (still waiting...)
Soon to have a sugarsnap teepee (more about that later).
Then come the potato rows. Two so far, one more to be dug.
Then, in the patch that is still green (weed covered) there will be an A-frame with lots of beans and peas growing up it. Or perhaps as many teepees as I can fit in. Which is the best use of space, do you think?

Now, about the sugarsnaps...

I volunteered to be part of the RHS pea trial (someone offering free seeds for something I was already planning to grow? I'm in!) but before I heard I was accepted I had bought some mangetout seeds. I wanted to get an early start so I could eat my peas nice and early. So anyway, in the post today I received two packs of seeds. 300 Oregon Sugar Pod mangetout and 250 Sugar Ann sugarsnaps! And this on top of the 300 mangetouts I had already bought. Same variety, from the same supplier as my freebies.

What on earth am I going to do with all these seeds? Holy smokes, batman. I will never have to buy a pea seed ever again! I have a feeling the allotment will be full of potatoes and peas this year.


This picture (you'll have to click on it to make it big to see properly) is of some goldfinches studiously ignoring the niger seeds that have been put out specially for them. The niger seed feeder is the green one on the left. It is 1/3 full. It has only been filled once this winter. They prefer the hulled sunflower seeds. It is the absolute favourite of all my garden birds. I wanted this picture to be up to reassure a blogging acquaintance of mine, Mrs B, of Carrots & Kids who is having trouble luring goldfinches into her garden. I dont' think it was the niger seeds that did it for me. Perhaps I was just lucky?


And speaking of being lucky... this is my baby! Aren't I a lucky Mum?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Humph. Those goldfinches are very fussy aren't they? I might just copy you now and put up another feeder with sunflower seeds to see if I can fnally entice some. I am very envious!

Loved the pic of your little one too! And I'm very impressed with the veggies you're managing to squeeze in. I always find it more interesting to read what people are doing with their normal sized gardens than those with half an acre.
Mrs Be at carrotsandkids.com