Sunday 25 May 2008

RHS Harlow Carr

The day began with an invasion of monsters to our peaceful bed.





And since the peace was shattered here we thought we would go and shatter it somewhere else. We decided to go to RHS Harlow Carr, a famous garden about 45 mins drive away from us, near Harrogate. The weather when we set out was a bit grey and rain was threatening, but we thought we would chance it. We were glad we did because the weather brightened as we drove, and by the time we got there it was lovely - not hot, but very sunny.

The gardens were beautiful, full of lovely flowers including the tallest tulips I have ever seen, the size of Biggest's hand and the colour of fire. There were also hundreds of purple allium flowers.



Of greatest interest to the children was of course the play area and the log-maze:







They also enjoyed running through the wild-flower meadows and hunting mini-beasts.






My favourite bit was the kitchen garden, but of course I was so busy studying the plants and the construction of the raised beds that I failed to take any pictures of anything. I am now planning the layout of my vegetable beds for future years. I can see raised beds in my future.

Back at home I planted out the chervil in the rose bed (allegedly cilantro/coriander, chervil and chives are good for detering aphids, and so I have planted these three in my rose bed. Doesn't seem to have affected the aphids. But who knows, maybe they would have been worse without, and maybe chervil is a vital element of the trio and it only went in yesterday. So we will wait and see.

I also planted the borage seedlings, which I hope will get large and luscious and beautiful:



And I got two purple-varigated sage plants, which will go into a pot and get big and I will have a pretty sage bush for ever and ever. I hope. But first I need to get some dirt to put in my big pot. And to get the dirt from the council's compost mountain I need to get containers - you got it, more trugs! One thing at a time...

No comments: