Thursday 24 June 2010

Midsummer Garden



It's mid-summer. And as such I thought I should give you a tour/ make a record of what is growing and flowering in our garden at the moment.

The poppies are outstanding. Every year they cross polinate and self seed everywhere. I love seeing where they'll end up and what mix of genes we'll get this time. It's always different and yet always perfect.



What do you think of that bizarre purple one?!





Our rosebed, which we inherited when we moved in, is full of beautiful and huge flowers. There doesn't seem to have been a colour scheme though. It's a riot of clashing colours but they all smell fantastic, and they are all beauties. So I don't mind at all... in fact I only noticed when I was taking the picture. (Isn't it funny how you see things differently when you are looking through a viewfinder?)


I have several Allium Christophii growing between the roses... towering above the chives, which are just like miniatures of these fantastic alliums. They are such gorgeous flowers - and the bees love them (just like they love the chives) which is a wonderful bonus. And then there's the self seeded violas... I just love self seeders.

And over in the veg patch:



Raspberries (untended with grass growing among the unpinned stalks) and strawberries (we didn't have any straw so I substituted shredded paper. Seems to work just fine!

Tomatoes and a chili pepper in the plastic-house. Doing quite well!

And a happy, smiley little Spike - also growing like a weed!

1 comment:

Ma Larkin said...

managed to follow at last. Your garden looks lovely. I have only 1 rose and not even a bud yet.
Claire