Friday 6 March 2009

It must be spring

Despite the hard frost yesterday morning, and the wierd flurry of snow we had on Tuesday you can really tell that spring is starting. The last couple of days have been warm and sunny. But the really significant sign is that I have felt compelled to be out in it and to get digging! I am a real 'fair weather gardener' so for me to want to be out there and to be digging and weeding and planting means that it must be pretty nice out there.
There were some randomly placed snowdrops bursting out of the 'vegetable patch'. Wonder what they were doing there? Must remember to find them a better home once they are finished flowering.

I reused some old drawers as raised beds. They have shallots in them. The soil near the path isn't actually soil, just sand and random builders rubble, so to get anything to grow there it needed to be in a raised bed. We'll see how this 'reduce-reuse-recycle' innovation does...

Notice that there is one empty bed... I have been considering what to put in this last one. I didn't have enough shallots... some of the ones in the pack had gone a bit mouldy. Note to self: don't buy shallots early and expect them to survive being ignored for a month on a shelf in the dining room! Anyway... been considering either strawberries or asparagus! Am leaning towards asparagus... you can go strawberry picking easily around here, but not asparagus picking. I know that asparagus takes a couple of years to get established, and that has put me off in the past. But since we will be in this house for a good long time now seems as good a time as any!

Oh, and good news on the rhubarb front. Remember I had moved it? Well it didn't die, and is putting forth some lovely red stems... not long now until our first stewed rhubarb and icecream!!!

UPDATE:

Bought some purple asparagus for the 4th bed. Only 2 yrs now until we get to eat some.

1 comment:

janine said...

Hi, I'm so enjoying catching up on your blog. And I see from your rhubarb photo that I am a full two months behind you in lovely Fennville, Michigan, USA, where mine is just now looking like this. Fortunately I have some rhubarb compote from last year hiding in the fridge, perfect for that ice cream fix while I wait another several weeks for this year's batch.
Cheers,
Janine at Rustic Kitchen